- At home, on stage, your music.
- The Kawai ES Series has been designed to deliver the finest playing experience possible within a portable piano. These stylish instruments are ideally suited to musicians seeking a piano that provides an authentic keyboard action and a selection of inspiring sounds, yet can still be moved easily, or placed on an attractive furniture stand without occupying too much space.
The latest ES Series models are also an excellent choice for gigging musicians, academic institutions, and places of worship, thanks to their lightweight body, powerful speaker systems, and great audio connectivity. And with a slew of customisable settings, Bluetooth MIDI and audio, and engaging apps, the ES Series instruments are also extremely personal pianos, that players of all ages and abilities can take pride in owning.
- The Touch of a Grand Piano: Responsive Hammer Compact keyboard action
- The ES120’s Responsive Hammer Compact keyboard action has been specially developed to allow portable instruments to reproduce the distinctive touch of an acoustic grand piano. Based on the highly-regarded RH action design, its spring-less technology and sturdy construction delivers consistent upward and downward motion, while improved cushioning material helps to reduce keyboard noise, resulting in a smooth, natural, and highly authentic piano playing experience.
Matte key surface Hammer sensor Hammer pivot point
Key pivot point Weighted hammers
- Acoustic piano key weighting
- Just as acoustic pianos utilise heavier bass hammers and lighter treble hammers, the RH Compact keyboard action also employs different hammer weights, appropriately graded for each playing range.
Such details provide greater stability during fortissimo passages, while preserving delicate pianissimo control, to satisfy the demands of even the most discerning pianist.
- The Sound of a Grand Piano: Two world-class instruments
- Earning a reputation as the ‘premier pianos of Japan’, Shigeru Kawai instruments grace the stages of concert halls and musical institutions throughout the world, and are prized for their outstanding tonal clarity and exceptional dynamic range.
The ES120 captures the magnificent tone of the flagship Shigeru Kawai SK-EX concert grand piano. This peerless instrument is hand-built by Master Piano Artisans at the Shigeru Kawai Piano Research Laboratory in Ryuyo, Japan, and widely regarded as one of the finest instruments in its class.
In addition, the ES120 also features the distinctive sound of Kawai’s highly acclaimed EX concert grand piano, which has been selected by professional pianists in such prestigious events as the Chopin, Tchaikovsky, and Rubinstein international piano competitions, among others.
Both the SK-EX and EX are faithfully reproduced with full 88-key sampling using advanced Harmonic Imaging™ sound technology, to establish a new standard in digital piano tonal quality, and allow musicians to appreciate the contrasting properties of each.
- Piano sound demos
- True character in every note
- The rich, expressive sound of the SK-EX and EX concert grand pianos is at the heart of the ES120, with all eighty-eight keys of these world-class instruments painstakingly recorded, meticulously analysed, and accurately reproduced as high-fidelity digital waveforms.
Recording each key individually in this way – as opposed to stretching the same tone over several different notes – preserves the grand pianos’ unique harmonic character, and guarantees that the sound heard when playing any one of the ES120’s weighted keys is a faithful representation of the original acoustic source.
- Rich, dynamic, expressive
- When playing a fine piano, the amount of pressure applied to the keyboard affects not only the volume of the sound produced, but also the unique tonal character of each note. Therefore, in order to construct a realistic acoustic portrait of each grand piano, not only is each key recorded individually, but also at a wide variety of different volumes, ranging from gentle pianissimo to thunderous fortissimo.
The ES120 offers a highly detailed acoustic portrait, employing Kawai’s proprietary Harmonic Imaging sampling technology to ensure smooth tonal transitions across the keyboard and throughout the entire dynamic range.
- Variety beneath your fingertips
- Alongside the classically voiced SK-EX and EX grand piano sounds, the ES120 also showcases a selection of Jazz, Pop, and Modern variations suitable for a range of musical genres. A traditional Kawai upright piano sound is also included, for pieces that suggest a feeling of nostalgia, or call for a slightly more intimate tonal character.
- Realistic reverberation
- The ES120’s powerful digital effects engine further enhances the instrument’s core sounds, applying reverberation effects that simulate the acoustics of a recital room, live stage, concert hall, and other environments, bringing performances to life.
The result is a rich, vibrant piano tone that delivers exceptional realism and authenticity, to inspire musicians of all abilities.
- Impressive speaker system
(with Low Volume Balance feature)
- The ES120’s stereo speaker system delivers an impressive 20W of output, providing enough power to fill a medium-sized room with it’s beautiful Shigeru Kawai grand piano sounds.
Moreover, when playing through speakers at a reduced volume setting (so as not to disturb family members), the ES120’s Low Volume Balance feature intelligently adjusts keyboard touch and piano tone characteristics, allowing pianissimo passages to be played smoothly and more naturally.
- The Variety of a Digital Piano: Convenience & Flexibility
- The impressive ES120 offers a variety of features to complement its authentic keyboard touch and rich grand piano sounds. The adjustable metronome and song recorder are invaluable tools for aspiring pianists wishing to improve the technique, while additional instrument voices, Dual and Split playing modes, and 100 drum rhythms allow players of all levels to indulge their creative spirit.
Live players will appreciate Registration memories and dedicated Line Out jacks for sound reinforcement, while integrated Bluetooth® MIDI and Audio, and a standard USB-MIDI port provide flexibility for connecting to smart devices and computers – either with, or without cables.
- Integrated Bluetooth® connectivity
- In addition to a standard USB-MIDI port for connecting to computers, the ES120 also features integrated Bluetooth® MIDI and Audio technologies that allow the instrument to communicate with supported smart devices wirelessly.
Once paired with a phone, tablet, or laptop, ES120 owners can enjoy a wide variety of exciting music-related apps that enhance their learning and playing experience, or stream audio from songs and videos directly through the instrument’s impressive speaker system without the need to connect additional cables.
* Availability of Bluetooth® function may vary depending on market area.
* For more information please refer to the Bluetooth MIDI Information support page.
- PianoRemote app
- The ES120 is compatible with Kawai’s latest PianoRemote control app for iOS and supported Android devices. This app connects to the piano wirelessly via the instrument’s integrated Bluetooth feature, providing an effortless way to change sounds or adjust settings from an attractive user interface.
- Variety of sound
- Supplementing its realistic acoustic piano voices, the ES120 also offers a selection of additional instrument sounds, including electric pianos, organs, strings, acoustic and electric bass, and vibraphone.
The Dual and Split playing modes also allow two different voices, such as an acoustic piano and a string ensemble, to be played together for a more complex sound that inspires even greater musical creativity.
- Great for gigging
- Lightweight and compact, the ES120 is ideal for gigging musicians looking for a portable piano with authentic touch and high quality sounds.
Registration memories provide a quick and easy way to recall adjusted sounds and settings, while the dedicated stereo Line Out jacks allow direct connection to mixers and PAs, with the ability to also leave the instrument’s built-in speakers enabled for use as local monitors.
- Uncluttered appearance, lightweight body
- The ES120 adopts a brand new exterior design, with the instrument’s updated control panel incorporated into an attractive polished trim line that runs the length of the keyboard. It’s stylish yet strong body weighs just 12.5 kg, making the ES120 an excellent choice for gigging musicians, as well as academic and religious institutions.
- Choice of finishes
- Available in smoothly textured Black, White, and Light Grey* finishes, the ES120’s clean design is suitable for both traditional and contemporary spaces. And with matching designer stand and triple pedal options, the instrument can be easily transformed into an ultra-compact piano replacement for the lounge, studio, or bedroom.
|Keyboard||・ Responsive Hammer Compact action
– 88 keys
– Grade-weighted hammers
– Matte key surfaces
|Pedal||・ F-1SP switch pedal
– Damper (on/off)* Compatible with F-10H damper pedal, GFP-3 triple pedal unit, F-351 triple pedal board accessories
– Damper (with half-pedal support)
|Piano Sound||・ Harmonic Imaging (HI)
– 88-key stereo sampling
– SK-EX, EX, K-60 recording
– 192 note maximum polyphony
|Piano Resonance||– Damper Resonance
– String Resonance
|Piano Adjustment||・Virtual Technician (17 parameters, via PianoRemote app)
– Touch Curve
– Damper Resonance
– Damper Noise
– String Resonance
– Key-off Effect
– Fall-back Noise
– Hammer Delay
– Topboard Simulation
– Decay Time
– Release Time
– Minimum Touch
– Stretch Tuning
– Temperament Key
– Half-Pedal Adjust
– Soft Pedal Depth
|No. of Sounds||25 voices|
|Other Effects||Preset (can be disabled)|
|Speakers||12 cm x 2|
|Output Power||20 W (10 W × 2)|
|Headphone Enhancements||Spatial Headphone Sound
|Music Rest||Detachable type (included)|
Size & Weight
|Width||130.5 cm (51 1/3″)|
|Depth||28 cm (11″) [music rest detached]
35 cm (13 3/4″) [music rest attached]
|Height||15 cm (6″) [music rest detached]
34 cm (13 1/3″) [music rest attached]
|Net Weight||12 kg (26 1/2 lbs.) [music rest detached]
12.5 kg (27 1/2 lbs.) [music rest attached]
Size & Weight
|Dimensions||145 (W) x 37 (D) x 26.5 (H) cm|
|Gross Weight||18 kg|
|Available Finishes||Black (ES120B)
Light Grey (ES120LG) *
Registration (4 memories)
|Internal Songs||Sound Demo||16 sound demo songs|
|Lesson Songs||9 books, 377 pieces (via PiaBookPlayer app)|
|Internal Recorder||Total Memory||approximately 15,000 notes|
|No. of Songs||3 songs|
|Metronome||Time Signatures||1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 3/8, 6/8|
|Drum Rhythms||100 patterns|
|Bluetooth *||Bluetooth (Ver. 5.0; GATT compatible)
Bluetooth Low Energy MIDI Specification compliant
Bluetooth Audio (Ver. 5.1; A2DP compatible)
|USB Audio Recorder||Record/Playback||–|
|App Functions||PianoRemote (iOS/Android)
|Connector Jacks||Headphone||1 x 1/4″, 1 x 1/8″ Stereo jacks|
|MIDI||USB-MIDI, Bluetooth MIDI *|
|Line Out||1/4″ L/MONO, R [unbalanced]|
|USB to Host||✔|
|USB to Device||–|
|Others||Damper (for F-1SP, F-10H)
Pedal (for GFP-3, F-351)
|Power Consumption||9 W|
AC adaptor (PS-129)
|Others||Warranty Card *
F-1SP switch pedal