- Next-generation guitar and bass synthesizer with the newly developed Serial GK interface
- Advanced ZEN-Core sound engine derived from flagship Roland synthesizers
- Natural playing feel and solid tracking stability, realized through high-performance DSP
- Powerful Scene workflow with four Tones plus Rhythm
- Vast onboard sound library with over 1200 Tones and 70 Rhythm sounds
- Explore Sound Packs, Wave Expansions, legendary Roland instruments, and more on Roland Cloud
- Deep editing tools for each Tone, including sound parameters, sensitivity settings, and more
- 150 user-configurable Scenes, including 100 Scenes with professional ready-to-play sounds
- Over 90 total effect types available in each Scene
- Space-saving design flows into every setup, from pedalboard to desktop
- Serial GK expansion jack for connecting to another BOSS guitar synthesizer product
- Two external control jacks, each with support for up to two footswitches or an expression pedal
- USB audio/MIDI connectivity and standard MIDI I/O
- Guitar to MIDI function for playing external MIDI instruments via USB or a MIDI cable
- Also functions as a standalone synthesizer sound module for MIDI keyboard use or DAW sound expansion
- Edit Scenes and organize sounds on your computer with BOSS Tone Studio
- Download and share GM-800 Livesets at BOSS Tone Exchange**For sharing on BOSS Tone Exchange, Scenes in Livesets must be created using the internal GM-800 sounds.
Over 1200 Sounds at Your Fingertips
The ZEN-Core engine combines modern PCM synthesis and advanced modeling to bring you an infinite playground for sonic discovery. Play acoustic pianos, EPs, organs, and orchestral instruments. Tap into classic Roland synths like the JUPITER-8, JUNO-106, and many others. And combine them all together to build sounds never heard before.
Four Tones Plus Rhythm
The GM-800 features four Tone parts plus a Rhythm part filled with acoustic and electronic percussion sounds. Call up a part with the dedicated panel buttons, then explore a deep array of synth parameters, pitch settings, alternate tunings, and string assignments to shape sounds to perfection.
Intuitive Scene Workflow
The ZEN-Core workflow is based around Scenes, which are “super patches” containing every element in a sound: Tone selection, parameters tweaks, sensitivity and other play settings, effects, and more. And thanks to the muscular DSP, you can carry over the sound of the current Scene as you select a new one for seamless musical transitions. There are 150 user-configurable Scenes, and 100 come with pro sounds ready to play immediately.
Roland Cloud Expansion
The GM-800 supports an ever-growing range of creative options through Roland Cloud. Stay inspired with ZEN-Core Sound Packs and Wave Expansions. And play the ZENOLOGY synthesizer and legendary Roland instruments in your DAW from your guitar or bass. You can start using Roland Cloud right away with a free Roland Account and access additional content via three paid membership levels. All plans start with a free 30-day Ultimate trial to experience everything Roland Cloud has to offer.
Dedicated MFX for Each Part
Along with their sound-shaping parameters, every Tone and Rhythm part has a dedicated MFX processor. Each offers over 90 effect types, including distortions, filters, mod effects, delays, and more. Many selections include two effect types for additional sound-shaping control.
Scene and System Effects
Within every Scene, you also get two additional FX for processing the combined sound, plus high-quality chorus/delay and reverb effects with independent send levels from each part. And with the Master Comp and EQ, you can shape the GM-800’s sound output for any recording or performance setup.
UNLIMITED GUITAR EXPRESSION
The GM-800 lets you harness an endless variety of sonic textures using the expressive playing characteristics of your guitar and bass. Optimize the performance with continuous pitch control or chromatic operation. Layer Tones to create rich, combined voices. Or assign them to individual strings, such as a bass sound on the low strings and a piano or sax sound on the high strings. You can even assign Tones to specific fret ranges, a powerful new feature made possible with the GM-800’s advanced pitch detection.
NEW TRACKING SYSTEM
The GM-800 delivers accuracy, stability, and real-time playability standards that far exceed previous systems, realized through skilled BOSS engineering and a high-speed processor dedicated solely to tracking. Multiple velocity and feel parameters let you dial in the optimal response for every sound and style. For example, you can set a Scene with piano sounds to respond to every dynamic nuance—from soft to loud—while setting another Scene with vintage analog synth sounds to the fixed velocity response found in the original instruments.
Edit Sounds with BOSS Tone Studio
Craft Scenes in detail from your computer using the BOSS Tone Studio software for the GM-800. Set up Tones, string assignments, sensitivity, and more from a large, friendly interface. Then use the Librarian function to organize your Scenes for different songs and performances.
With a single USB cable, you can capture GM-800 sounds as audio tracks in a DAW and “re-synth” sounds in a similar way to the re-amp technique used with standard guitar tones. A Guitar to MIDI function is also available, allowing you to play virtual instruments over USB and trigger hardware sound modules via the MIDI output.
MIDI Sound Module
The versatile GM-800 can do double duty as a compact, go-everywhere MIDI sound module. Connect a keyboard or other MIDI controller to the five-pin MIDI input to play sounds live. Or use the ZEN-Core engine as a premium USB sound source within your music production workflow.
The GM-800 features the newly developed Serial GK digital interface, which supports guitar/bass input from a BOSS GK-5 or GK-5B Divided Pickup and easy linking of multiple GM-800 units. GKC-AD and GKC-DA conversion boxes are also available for classic 13-pin GK devices, allowing you to drive the GM-800 with a Roland GK-3 or GK-3B pickup and use Serial GK devices with the BOSS SY-1000 and GP-10.
- Sound Generator
- 5 parts (Play part: 4, Rhythm part: 1)
- Preset tone: 1,200 or greater
Preset Drum Kit: 70 or greater
Import tone: 256
- Part Multi-Effects: 1 system (for each part), 93 types
Part EQ: 1 system (for each part)
Reverb: 7 types
Chorus/Delay: 9 types
Scene MFX: 2 systems (Serial or Parallel selectable), 93 types
Master EQ / Comp
- Nominal Output Level
- OUTPUT (L/PHONES, R/MONO): -10 dBu
- Maximum Output Level
- OUTPUT (L/PHONES, R/MONO): +7 dBu
- Output Impedance
- OUTPUT (L/PHONES, R/MONO): 44 ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance
- OUTPUT (L/PHONES, R/MONO): 10 k ohms or greater (Phones: 44 ohms or greater)
- SCENE DOWN switch, SCENE UP switch, CTL1–2 switches
PART1–4 buttons, PART R button, EXIT button, WRITE button, MENU button, PAGE buttons
1–4 knobs, SELECT knob, OUTPUT LEVEL knob
- Graphic LCD 256 x 80 dots
- GK IN jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type (for BGK cable only)
GK OUT jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type (for BGK cable only)
OUTPUT (L/PHONES) jacks: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
OUTPUT (R/MONO) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
CTL3, 4/EXP1 jack, CTL5, 6/EXP2 jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
USB COMPUTER port: USB B type (supports High-Speed USB, USB Audio, and USB MIDI)
USB MEMORY port
MIDI connectors (IN, OUT)
DC IN jack
- External Memory
- USB Flash drive (sold separately)
- Power Supply
- AC adaptor
- Current Draw
- 840 mA
- AC adaptor (PSB-1U + AC Cord Set)
Leaflet “USING THE UNIT SAFELY“
Rubber foot x 4
- Options (sold separately)
- Divided pickup: GK-5 (for guitar), GK-5B (for bass guitar)
Serial GK cable: BGK-15 (15 ft./4.5 m), BGK-30 (30 ft./9 m)
GK converter: GKC-DA, GKC-AD
Footswitch: FS-5U, FS-5L, FS-6, FS-7
Expression Pedal: EV-30, FV-500L, FV-500H, Roland EV-5
AC adaptor (PSB-1U) (*1)
*1 When purchasing an AC adaptor, be sure to specify the adaptor (from the list that follows) that is designed for the region in which it will be used, and the voltage supplied there.
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- 246 mm
- 134 mm
- 63 mm
- Height (including rubber foot)
- 65 mm
- Weight (excluding AC adaptor)
- 1.2 kg
2 lbs 9 oz
- * 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms
- *The specifications are subject to change without notice.